Thursday 11 November 2010

The trap of using FrameworkPropertyMetadataOptions.Inherits and a PropertyChangedCallback

I had this container that I wanted to handle any mouse click events. So I proceeded on creating an attached property that has a property changed callback in which I would take the element and add a mouse handler to it. Pretty standard stuff, only it didn't quite work. It also blocked any events in the children. As I knew this should have happened in Preview events, not in normal events, I was stumped.

The problem: the attached property was defined with FrameworkPropertyMetadataOptions.Inherits which meant its value applied to all the children, meaning the value changes on all children when I set it on the parent. That meant the handler for the mouse click events was attached to the container and each of its descendants.

0 comments:

Post a Comment