Friday 20 April 2007

Using Menu inside UpdatePanel

A previous post of mine detailed the list of ASP.Net controls that cannot be used with UpdatePanel and ASP.Net Ajax. Since I provided a fix for the validators earlier on, I've decided to try to fix the Menu, as well. And I did! At least for my problem which involved using a two level dynamic menu inside an UpdatePanel.
Here is the code:
<script>
function FixMenu() {
if (typeof(IsMenuFixed)!='undefined') return;
if (!window.Menu_HideItems) return;
window.OldMenu_HideItems=window.Menu_HideItems;
window.Menu_HideItems=function(items) {
try {
OldMenu_HideItems(items);
} catch(ex)
{
if (items && items.id) {
PopOut_Hide(items.id);
}
}
}
IsMenuFixed=true;
}
</script>

Now all you have to do is load it at every page load:
ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(this,GetType(),"FixMenu","FixMenu();",true);


Explanation: the error I got was something like "0.cells is null or not an object", so I looked a little in the javascript code, where there was something like " for(i = 0; i < rows[0].cells.length; i++) {" and rows[0] was null. All this in a function called Menu_HideItems.

Solution 1: Copy the entire function (pretty big) and add an extra check for rows[0]==null.

Solution 2: Hijack the function, put it in a Try/Catch block and put the bit of the original function that appeared after the error in the catch. That I did.

13 comments:

  1. Works like a charm...thanks!

    Winger

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx a lot, just what i was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man, just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there were more guys like u...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot man!! this really helps us...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, thanks for the info. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IntezaarForU.....

    Thank you dude.. it works great for me :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks bro .....thanks a ton u reallly saved my job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. This was the best solution to the problem. All the others messed up my page events. Great Job!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok man I NEVER EVER post comments.

    but you are a FUCKING GENIUS since you just solved a problem that cost me 10h already!

    THX MAN

    ReplyDelete
  12. MAnnnnnnnnnnnnnn You are Awessssssssssssommeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, please post new information in the comments! :)

    Thank you! My only wish is that, when you find similar problems that I or anybody else has not fixed, find a fix yourself and post it somewhere where search engines can find it.

    ReplyDelete