Sunday 23 July 2006

Arx Fatalis, the greatest game since Ultima Underworld

Do you know how some games have so much publicity spin on them and so much advertising that they immediately start making money and becoming "the most popular game"? Arx Fatalis is not one of those. This game is a rediscovery of the good old values of Ultima Underworld: good story, great playability, nice AI, very little or no getting stuck possibilities, fantastic immersion in another world. If you loved Ultima Underworld (which can be found free on the net, but I am not sure you can make it work on the newest computers around), you will definitely fall in love with Arx Fatalis. I am telling you, I am hooked. I finished the game in a working week and two weekends and I did it so fast because my wife wanted me to give some attention to her. Yes, you read right, Arx Fatalis IS better than sex.

You can get it very cheaply from Good Old Games.

Ok, what is so great about it? I will give a few hints and let you discover the rest for yourselves:
  • you make magic by mouse gestures (you move the mouse in certain patterns, like in Black and White)
  • the AI characters yell for help from associated NPCs and run away when too hurt
  • I once ran into an impenetrable beast that could kill me with one touch. Running away from it I reached a dead end. I expected to find no way out, but the beast disappeared and reappeared a few feet behind, just enough to let me run away.
  • I couldn't find ONE spot where I would have gotten stuck in the entire game.
  • the quests are intelligent. You need to use brains to finish this one. It's not something that must be searched on google to finish, either. If you have the will, there is a way.
  • you can kill almost every character in the game as well as finish their quests.
  • a lot of side quests. You can finish the game in a week or in a few months, it depends on you.
  • hidden magic spells. Each rune has a specific meaning. Try combining them in innovative ways.
Not interested yet? Oh, come on!

Update: I have found a Doom3 mod that tries to be a prequel to Arx Fatalis. A pretty neat effort and I am glad I found a new reason to upgrade my computer :). This is their site: Arx – End Of Sun and this is a gameplay video: Arx - End of Sun (Gameplay Video #1) [Doom 3 SP Mod].

2 comments:

  1. Re stiabh:
    I think I might have played a patched or improved version. First time I played it, I missed the thing about pre casting spells and I played and finished the entire game by mouse gestures alone. So it's not so bad, once you get to know the game. Also, there is the posibility of poisoning your items. It needs ridiculous item knowledge, but it can be done. Also, the AI, as stupid as it may be, it is better than the AI of most of the games out there.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siderite said...
    Note to self:
    A new game is about to be released. It's called Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and it has three reasons to be the next coolest game ever:
    1. It's placed in the Might&Magic universe
    2. It's made by the guys that made Arx Fatalis
    3. It has multiplayer, CounterStrike style.
    Just watch the animations from the site and you will be amazed!

    ReplyDelete